POR-15® PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is easier and less expensive to apply than epoxies, since it doesn't require mixing: and POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating dries to a high-gloss or semi-gloss finish just like paint, except that it cannot be scratched or peeled off.
Since POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating chemically bonds to metal, the underlying surface does not have to be sanded before application. As long as loose or flaking rust are removed from the surface, an application of POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating will not only cover up the rust and prevent it from spreading, but will also strengthen the underlying metal and seal holes by forming its own membranes.
POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating is designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to a rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from re-occurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture. POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun light) and must be topcoated before prolonged exposure to sunlight. POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is cured and strengthened by exposure to moisture and will dry faster under extreme humidity, but moderate to dry atmospheric conditions are most desirable when applying this product, because extreme humidity may cause an immediate surface cure, trapping carbon dioxide gas below the surface. When this happens, bubbling may occur. Extreme humidity at the time of application may also interfere with proper adhesion of the POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating coating to metal because it's almost impossible to keep metal dry under such conditions.
POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is a paint-like substance which acts as a total rust inhibitor and also very effective as a metal filler. Its consistency is approximately that of paint and it has very good spreadability (one quart covers 96 square feet). POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating chemically bonds to rusted steel to form a rock-hard, nonporous coating that won't crack, chip, or peel. It works by isolating metal from moisture; without moisture present, steel can't rust. Thin, covering coats are best. Apply second coat when first coat is dry to touch with slight "finger-drag" remaining.
- Solids - 74%
- Vapor Pressure - 38mm
- Hg: Boiling Point - 232°F
- Specific Gravity 1.05
- Percent volatile by Volume 25%
- Weight per quart - 2.25lbs.
- Solubility in water - insoluble.
- Appearance: Glossy or Semi-gloss (black only) finish.
- Application: Brush, roller, spray
- Spreadability: 96 sq. ft. per Quart, 384 so. ft. per gallon.
- Recommended Temperature Application: 45°F - 95°E
- Drying Time: Varies according to humidity; average is 4.5 hours.
- Shelf Life: Unopened can - 2 years or more. Opened can - up to 6 months.
- Abrasion Resistance: Using Taber Abrasion Test,POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating passes 200 cycles with a 100 gram weight on a CF17 Wheel.
- Solubility: POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is readily soluble in esters. ketones, and aromatic solvents.
POR-15 APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Rusted surfaces are best; seasoned metal and sandblasted surfaces are also good.
To coat smooth metal surfaces:
Use POR-15® Rust Preventive CoatingMETAL-READY to prepare surface before painting. Surface must be dry and free of grease, oil, or other foreign substances. Use of 'rust converter' products is not recommended as they may affect bonding ofPOR-15® Rust Preventive Coatingto metal.POR-15® Rust Preventive Coatinglikes to adhere to surfaces with 'tooth' rather than smooth, glossy surfaces.
STIR CONTENTS GENTLY AND THOROUGHLY before painting.
Do not shake.
Refrigerate unused portion of POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating for longer shelf life.
Apply in thin coats, 1 to 2 mil thickness. Minimum 2 coats.
Topcoat when first coat is dry but with slight finger-drag remaining, usually 4-5 hours.
Use 30-35 lbs pressure for normal gloss. Reduce pressure for lower gloss (20-25 lbs). Thin only with POR-15® Solvent, if necessary, but do not thin more than 5%.
TO TOPCOAT A FULLY CURED POR-15 SURFACE:
Wet sand with 320 grit until gloss is dull, then paint, or use POR-15® Self Etch Primer directly on the cured POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating surface, then topcoat as desired.
UsePOR-15® Solvent or lacquer thinner for cleanup, which must be done before POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating dries.NOTE:Organic vapor particulate respirators, NIOSH/MSHA approved, must be used when spraying POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating.
Moisture will shorten the life of unused POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating. Seal can or jar immediately after using. We recommend placing plastic wrap between lid can and storing in a cool dark place.
APPLICATION OF POR-15® RUST PREVENTIVE COATING TO NEW METAL
For proper adhesion to aluminum, galvanized metal, and smooth steel surfaces, prep with POR-15® Metal Prep. Keep surface wet for 15 minutes, then rinse off with water and dry thoroughly. This process will leave a zinc phosphate coating on the metal and insure perfect adhesion.
- Use as a primer or finish coat
- Automobiles: fenders, floorboards, bumpers. trunk areas, engine compartments, rockers
- Trucks, trailers, agricultural equipment, snow removal and highway equipment
- Storage tanks, bridges, boats, factory machinery
- Outdoor sign supports, fencing, metal roofs, fire escapes
- Use to waterproof insulation or wood
- As a filler for metal
- Use as a bonding agent on wood or styrofoam
- Prevents rust in refrigeration units where moisture corrodes metal
- Use on lawnmower housing to prevent rust; keep grass from sticking and clumping in wet weather.
WHICH FORMULA TO USE?
- POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating SILVER contains metal filler and should be used on badly rusted steel to fill small holes and pitted areas.
- POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating BLACK is used on frames, floorboards. under fenders, engine compartments. trunk areas, etc.
- POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating CLEAR dries to a perfect satin gloss, used on exterior surfaces before topcoating. Excellent for "touch-up".
- POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating GRAY is ideal for use on concrete.
ADVANTAGES OVER MOST DUAL-COMPONENT COATINGS
Better chemical resistance, better adhesion to metals, greater ease of application, strengthened by exposure to moisture. Reasonable pot life, non-shattering, great flexibility. No catalyst required for curing.
- 5 Gallon Pail
- 55 Gallon Drum
POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated for prolonged exposure to sunlight. Failure to do this may result in long-term damage to the POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating. Topcoating is not required for areas not exposed to sunlight.
LABORATORY TEST RESULTS
POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating was tested for 168 hours at 97°F in a condensing humidity salt spray (ASTM B117). At the end of the test period, coated steel was free of rust or pitting. Acid and alkali resistance tests performed found panels coated withPOR-15® Rust Preventive Coating to be impervious to gasoline, oil, chromic acid, hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, 50% sulfuric acid, and 50% hydrofluoric acid. POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating was applied over a rusty substrate as a finish coat (approximately 23 mils dry film thickness). The coating showed essentially no undercutting at the scribed area after 2000 hours in a weatherometer*.
A 2 mil thickness of POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating was applied to lightly rusted steel and then exposed for 1000 hours to a salt spray. At the end of the test period, no undercutting was observed at the scribed area. Recoatability is excellent. Laboratory tests have shown very good adhesion when applied up to 14 days after application of the first coat. In an actual Field test, a topcoat was applied 6 weeks after the first coat had been applied, and the intercoat adhesion was excellent as determined by a crosshatch tape test. A metal box used as a filter for raw sewage was coated with POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating and placed in service within a few hours after the interior and exterior were coated. No visible rusting occurred at the welded areas after a six month exposure.
A POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating coating was subjected to 450°F for 10 hours; it remained hard and showed no apparent loss of adhesion. A panel subjected to elongation was pulled beyond the yield point of the base metal without affecting the POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating coating.
Dew cycle XWR with corex D filter, cycle is:
- 30 minutes sun, 135°F, 30% relative humidity.
- 30 minutes dark. 75-80°F, 100% relative humidity (achieved with water spray on panel backs)