Technical Data for POR-15® Rust Preventive / Anti-Corrosive Paint
POR-15® is a high performance, versatile aromatic polyurethane coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces and concrete. It dries to a rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel. Because POR-15 is non-porous, it is an excellent sealer for concrete and other porous substrates because it completely protects from water, chemicals, salt, and mineral oils.
POR-15® is the most effective anti-corrosive and rust preventive coatings available and offers the most flexibility and chemical resistance due to its inherent dense, cross-linked molecular chain.
Features & Benefits
|Broad spectrum macroenvironment suitability|
Excellent adhesion characteristics
Superior chemical resistance
|Strengthened by exposure to moisture|
Reasonable pot life
Non-shattering and highly flexible
No catalyst required for curing
|Oil refining and distribution|
Storage and holding tanks
Pulp and Paper Mills
High temperature settings
Power generation facilities
Appearance: Glossy or semi-gloss (black only) finish.
Application: Brush, roller, spray
Spreadability: 96 sq. ft. per quart, 384 so. Ft. per gallon.
Elongation rate: 79%
Drying Time: Depends on ambient humidity. High humidity equals faster dry time, which varies from 3 to 6 hours.
Viscosity: 250 - 500cps at approximately 77ºF
1. Using an airless sprayer, brush or roller, apply a first coat to the surface. Appropriate layer thickness: 25-50µm.
2. In order to form a complete anchor, apply the second coat immediately after verifying the dryness condition of the first coat by touch after 1-2 hours have passed. Appropriate layer thickness: 25~50µm.
3. Perform surface treatment with sandpaper after complete hardening and paint a second time.
4. Second coat (50µm) when using external topcoat paint (POR-15 Stirling Silver, Hardnose Paint) takes two hours to dry to the touch but complete hardening takes about four days at 65ºF.
5. For externally exposed areas, paint topcoat with POR-15 Stirling Silver or POR-15 Hardnose (various colors) in order to block from ultraviolet light.
Clean up mixing and application equipment immediately after use. Tools should be cleaned after work but before the paint hardens using a urethane thinner. Cleaning is not possible after hardening. Observe all fire and health precautions when handling or storing solvents. Use POR-15 Solvent or POR-Strip for cleanup.
Material Safety Data Sheets must be read and understood by personnel responsible for supervision and installation of POR-15. All applicable federal, state, local, and particular plant safety guidelines must be followed during the handling and installation and cure of these materials. Safe and proper disposal of excess materials shall be done in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local codes.
All work personnel should wear gloves, protective clothing, facial protection shield, mask and protective goggles.
Store materials in a temperature-controlled environment (45ºF to 95ºF) and out of direct sunlight. Two-year shelf life is expected for products stored between 45ºF to 95ºF.
Occasional inspection of the installed material and spot repair can prolong system life. For specific information, contact the Technical Service Department.
Tie Coat Primer
Self Etch Primer
Two Part Topcoats
BlackCote, Stirling Silver, Chassis Coat Black